Assistant dietitian at Health Factory UAE Reem Abdallah says what you eat makes a difference in how you age.
Here are some foods to consider and avoid to help you live a longer life and protect you from chronic diseases:
1. Proteins are important building blocks of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood. Builds collagen, reduces wrinkle appearance and leads to a firmer skin
2. Whole grains (oats, wheat, brown rice, quinoa) that are rich in fibers lower your chance of developing type 2 diabetes and keep your blood cholesterol under control thus keeping your blood vessels in peak condition.
3. Go easy on high-fat foods such as high fat meat, high fat dairy or high fat bakeries that may lead to blood vessel clogging and heart problems
4. Limit the intake of added sugars in desserts, sweets and carbonated beverages that may cause your blood sugar to rise over time and may lead to diabetes.
5. Spare the salt as it may cause high blood pressure and other health problems over time.
6. Water is important for the hydration of all body’s organs and removal of wastes from the body. It is essential to maintain skin moisture and is the vehicle for delivering essential nutrients to the skin cells