Getting ready for the big game? This tasty snack idea, which uses Avocados from Mexico will have every football fanatic at your Super Bowl party cheering for more (regardless of who wins).
Chef Rick Bayless specializes in traditional Mexican cuisine with modern interpretations and this Layered Arugula Guacamole Dip that he’s developed with its layers of hummus and Arugula Guacamole is a delicious spin on a typical American Super Bowl Sunday favorite.
– 1 ½ cups roasted garlic hummus
– 2 cups chopped red onions
– 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
– 2 ½ teaspoons salt
– 1 cup sour cream
– 2 cups chopped multi-colored cherry tomatoes
– 3 ripe large Avocados from Mexico, halved, pitted
– ½ cup Frontera Tomatillo Salsa or Original Guacamole Mix
– 1 generous cup fresh arugula or spinach leaves, finely chopped
– ½ cup crumbled crisply-cooked applewood-smoked turkey bacon (5 slices, cooked)
– ¼ cup finely crumbled or shredded Mexican queso anejo or romano cheese
– Have ready a 9-inch by 7-inch by 2 ½-inch (11 cup) rectangular baking dish (a clear dish will show off the layers nicely). Spread the hummus evenly over the bottom of the dish.
– Red onion layer. Put the onions into a colander or strainer and rinse well under cool water. Shake dry and put into a small bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Arrange in a single layer over the hummus in the dish.
– Sour cream layer. Mix the sour cream with1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread in a layer over the onions.
– Tomato layer. Pat the tomatoes dry and mix with 1 teaspoon salt. Arrange tomatoes over sour cream.
– Arugula guacamole layer. Scoop the avocado pulp out into a medium-size bowl. Coarsely mash with a fork. Stir in salsa, arugula, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice and about 1 teaspoon salt.
– Gently spread the arugula guacamole over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
– Refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving. Serve with thick tortilla chips, sliced jícama or sliced cucumbers.
Serves 8 to 10