All eyes are on Newcastle United's Matt Ritchie as he scores their second goal from the spot

Newcastle came from behind to beat a lacklustre Manchester City 2-1 at St James’ Park and hand Liverpool further initiative in the Premier League title race.

City looked on course to close the gap to leaders Liverpool to one point after Sergio Aguero scored just 24 seconds into the match.

However, a slack display from the champions was punished as Salomon Rondon equalised in the 66th minute and then Matt Ritchie converted a penalty with 10 minutes remaining.

City hardly threatened a response and Liverpool could now move seven points clear if they beat Leicester on Wednesday.

Newcastle, meanwhile, are five points clear of the relegation zone and could soon be boosted further by the signing of Miguel Almiron for a club-record fee.

The celebratory atmosphere at the final whistle at St James’ Park was in stark contrast to the subdued start after City scored the quickest Premier League goal of the season.

Raheem Sterling crossed to the back post and David Silva stooped to head across goal for Aguero, who scored his 15th goal in 13 Premier League appearances against Newcastle. But City did not build on their early advantage and were slack throughout the first half.

Ayoze Perez had a chance for Newcastle in the 13th minute when he dragged a shot wide, while City saw a goal ruled out when Kevin De Bruyne was booked for taking a free-kick too quickly that Aguero scored from.

As City struggled to find their rhythm, Newcastle threatened on the break and Christian Atsu had a shot that deflected over the bar.

City did not create another opening until late in the first half as David Silva’s header was blocked in the six-yard box by Florian Lejeune.

The visitors looked as though they would raise their level after the break as Sterling almost turned in a cross from Sane and then Martin Dubravka pushed clear a shot from Silva. However, City could not take control of the match and Newcastle took advantage.

Rondon volleyed home in the 67th minute after a headed dropped into the box before Newcastle were awarded a penalty when Fernandinho was caught in possession and tripped Sean Longstaff.

After a long wait as Ederson received treatment for an injury, Ritchie stepped up and fired the penalty past the goalkeeper. City controlled possession in the final 10 minutes but did not threaten an equaliser as Newcastle held out.