Getting fit, toning your body and starting a healthy lifestyle is not as difficult as you might imagine it would be. In fact, it only takes two minutes daily to complete an exercise routine that would help you achieve #BodyGoals.
“A little progress each day goes a long way. The trick is to trick your mind. Don’t find any excuses. Gym is packed? Do home workouts instead. New movie release on Netlix? Add it on your list and save for later,” says Max Fardan, a Dubai-based fitness enthusiast.
Whether you are a beginner or a professional trainer, these simple home workouts can be helpful to start or maintain your fitness journey:
1. Sunday – Warm Up
What makes a great workout? Two words: warm up. Preparing your body before going full-on in any physical activity is like warning your mind and body that you are about to do something that requires a bit more energy than usual.
Benefit: Helps you prepare physically and mentally while improving blood flow and muscle flexibility to avoid any serious injury
- Slow Jump – Lift each leg alternately while slow jumping
- Stretch – Put one arm up and lean on the opposite side while extending your reach. Repeat on both sides
- Body Rotation – Slowly move your waist in circular motion to the left and to the right
- Cool Down – Breathe in, breathe out
2. Monday – Shoulder and Chest
Want to make your shoulders and chest look more attractive? No, you don’t actually need those heavy gym equipment to achieve it. All you need is a pair of dumbbells at home and you’re good to go.
Benefit: Builds muscles while strengthening and increasing the size of shoulders and chest
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise – Holding one dumbbell on each hand, slowly raise your arm to your sides until they’re level with your shoulders then slowly lower it
- Military press – Hold one dumbbell on each hand and bring it to shoulder level. Extend arms straight and slowly lower it back to your shoulders
- Regular push up – Start by doing at least 5-10 reps or to failure
3. Tuesday – Abs
Constantly thinking on how to achieve a flat stomach with six-pack abs? Well, I suggest to stop thinking and start doing now.
Benefit: Reduces back pain, improves overall posture and gives you an amazing flat stomach
- Sit-up – Lie on your back, place your hand in the back of your head and raise your torso until reaching an almost sitting position
- Leg Raise – Lie on your back and raise your legs until it is perpendicular to the floor then slowly lower your legs while maintaining control
- Toe-touch – Lie on your back and lift your legs up while reaching your hands towards your toes
4. Wednesday – Legs
While some dislikes doing leg works, others are always looking forward for leg days. Why? Because leg muscles are the biggest muscle group in your body so it engages almost every muscle which in turn gives a big after burn effect.
Benefit: Speeds up metabolism therefore burning more calories, engages almost every muscle
- Squat jump – Squat down then jump as high as you can while bending your knees to a 45-degree land
- Lunges – Put right foot forward then lower left knee to about 1 inch from the ground and switch
- Glute Bridge – Lie on your back, bend your knees then push your hip up
5. Thursday – Glutes
If you do enjoy doing squats, good for you. This is actually the best exercise that you can do to strengthen your butt while improving shape and size.
Benefit: Toned and stronger glutes, strengthens lower back and leg muscles
- Squats – Lots of it. Try doing different variations to mix it up a little.
6. Friday – Back
It takes a lot of work to achieve a sculpted back but with consistent workouts, you will get there in no time.
Benefit: Improves stance and posture, strengthens upper body muscles
- Alternate Dumbbell Row – Bend forward with one dumbbell on each hand then row alternately to your side
- Burpee – Bend down into a squat position then quickly thrust your legs behind so you’ll end up in a push up position then bring your legs back up and jump quickly
7. Saturday – Relaxation
Rest is equally important as working out on a daily basis. You need to give your body some time to just relax and recover from a week’s worth of physical activities. Now’s actually the perfect time to pull out that Netflix movie you saved for later and just you know, chill.