Relationship status: Married
Origin: United Kingdom
Have you ever dreamed about being a photographer? Maybe you don’t´know how to begin, or even where to begin. But the first step is just that – to begin! Then this interview is for you, and hopefully you get inspired from the amazing life of Stevie, a real professional photographer based in Dubai. We sat down for a quick chat about life, photos and everything in between. Ready, set, click!
Q&A with Stevie
24. How long have you worked as a photographer?
– I actually work full time in Finance and the photography is so far a job on the side. Hopefully that will change one day!
23. What made you want to be a photographer?
– I guess “What makes me want to be a photographer” is more applicable! I have worked in Finance for over 10 years and it is the thought of working in a more creative and adventurous environment that appeals most. Trust me, trying to concentrate in a corporate environment when the sky is covered in white fluffy clouds and your photographer friends are out shooting is very difficult!
22. Describe the “perfect picture” according to you?
– That is a tough one to answer as there are so many thoughts entering my mind! I love color so it would have to be a sweeping landscape with mountains reflecting perfectly in a lake whilst a burning sunset is taking place. Basically Iceland….!
21. As a beginner, what should you think of if you want to become a good photographer?
– Get off the automatic setting on your camera immediately. Learn about long exposure and the golden hours when the light is best.
20. What equipment/camera do you use, and why?
– Canon 5Ds, Canon 6D, 16-35mm lens, 70-200mm lens and many more. I use Canon because when I went to the Maldives with my wife many years ago, a friend of ours lent us a Canon full frame camera at the time. If I had the choice now though I probably would use a Nikon D850 but I have too much invested in my current set up!
19. In UAE there are many photographers, what makes you stand out?
– You guys ask some tough questions! I think there are some brilliant photographers in the UAE and whether I stand out is down to the individual person. I love color and reflections so I guess that is a typical Stevie Kahn shot. I like meeting people along the way and having a good laugh too so I guess that’s what people follow me for! I hope so anyways….!
18. Can you speak Arabic?
– Hala Hala Habibis! I throw a few words in here and there but should know a lot more having lived here for 10 years.
17. Do you make a living out of your photographer skills or is it a hobby?
– A hobby so far but hopefully that will change.
16. Favorite location to shoot?
– Switzerland… every shot you take belongs on the front of a biscuit tin!
15. What is your dream image that you would like to take?
– Only one?! Google “Lake over ocean Faroe Islands”…. is this even real?!
14. Name a famous person you would like to photograph, and why?
– Not really into portraits of people but would love a selfie with Stevie Gerrard!
13. Are you a BAWS? If so, what’s your definition of it?
– I would define a BAWS as someone in charge and in control… am I a BAWS? I am married so my wife is always the BAWS! Haha
12. Favorite food when you were a child?
– Burgers, nothing has changed.
11. #1 most played song?
– California Love – Tupac
10. Favorite indoor/outdoor activity?
– Sport, I love it.
9. Chore you absolutely hate doing?
– All of them!
8. You know the world is ending 2020, what would you do differently?
– Grab my wife and see the world!
7. You won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
– Probably run around the office laughing.
6. You have 30 minutes of free-time, how do you pass the time?
– Gym, Photography or just plain lounging.
5. The hardest thing you’ve ever done?
– Cold calling, it really really sucks.
4. the last experience that made you a stronger person?
– When I go full time in photography I will let you know!
3. Growing up, what got you into trouble?
– I once jumped over a fence and landed on a policeman!
2. Last time you were nervous?
– My wedding./strong>
1. At what age did you become an adult?
On behalf of BAWS, we thank you for your time champ. We love and support your thing all the way. Look forward to keep following your adventures for sure!